Fire permit received
Hi everyone, the fire permit has been received so we are good to go for Rock Lake this year again! Do note that the permit could be revoked if conditions change for the worse. Hoep to see you all there!
We will be hosting a number of competitions that will align with the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 flight and moon landing!
Contest 1 – Altitude
As this is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission to the moon, and the moon will be approximately 364,000 KM from the earth at perigee around the dates of Rock Lake, we will be having two altitude contests.
A-G motors: Altitude to reach is 364 feet. Use your Jolly Logic or Estes altimeter to measure. Closest flight to that altitude on ANY model motor, will win a prize.
Highpower motors: Altitude to reach is 3640 feet. Use any reporting altimeter to measure. Closest flight to that altitude on ANY model motor, will win a prize.
Contest 2 – Lander
Continuing in our Apollo 11 theme, we will have a contest for ANY lander of ANY scale. Object will be to land closest to the pin, but we will have a point structure that will encompass impulse landing location, landing upright, and other factors to allow ALL motor classes to compete together. Break out your stock or upscaled Mars Lander, Mars Snooper, Soviet Lander, Starship Vega, and Outlander. Or, maybe you have a great custom design that you want to use. The only rule is that it must have legs!
ONE WEEK AWAY!!
We are only seven days out and I am sure a lot of us have been dreaming of launching rockets. I will probably have one more update the middle of next week, but lets get through the usual business.
- The weather is looking OK. Unlike other years where we have had to contend with 35 degree temps, we are looking at a much milder temp in the low 20s. There is a possibility of some showers at this point, but also a good amount of sun. Plan accordingly for the weather with shelter, sunscreen, etc. Not sure what the bug population looks like yet, but Off is always a good idea.
- bring all that you will need to have a good time. There is no concession on site, so liquid refreshments and food are a necessity.
- we will have our usual bonfire on Saturday night, so bring a firewood donation.
- If you have any fireworks, we will be hopefully launching some on Saturday as well.
- WE STILL NEED VOLUNTEERS! Currently, there is alot of empty spots. No one launches unless some one pushes the buttons.
- For any new comers, look for signs to direct you.
- please get any questions my way ASAP.
We are only two weeks away! Th long range weather forecast is looking good and fire hazard is still low, which means that things are looking very good for the launch. Please check out the following:
- Things have seemed really quiet lately so I would love to hear back from people on whether they are coming.
- We need people to step up for duty shifts! If you go to www.lethbridgerocketry.com, you will see a blank slate of shifts as NO ONE has yet to step up. Please do so ASAP.
- Anyone have some fireworks they are itching to set off? As July 1 falls on this weekend, it would be great to add a little extra bang to the festivities. J
Lastly, a quick poll question. We send out information via our website, Facebook page, and the various Yahoo groups. Which method do you prefer to get your updates?
I will be sending out another update in a week with any last-minute details. Let me know if there are any questions.
RI Level 3
Rock Lake 16 dates
The dates for Rock Lake 15 will be June 28 to 30, 2013. Book these dates in now! As this will be the 15th Rock Lake Launch, we hope to have some special events and activities. More details to come!
Things are looking very good. Gravel road is in good condition, not too much standing water in the pit, and weather is BEAUTIFUL!!
As usual mosquitoes are in full force and for some reason horse flies. Lots of Off is in order. Also lots of water and other liquids will be needed. :)
See you here!